• Rose Smith

Your Dog Can’t Eat This


Photo Source: Pixabay

Dogs seem to get into everything. When you keep your bag at the ground level or don’t keep an eye on the dinner table, chances are your furry friend will take advantage of the opportunity. However, that can lead to a lot more danger than you or dog may have anticipated. While chocolate is likely the most commonly known food that your dog can’t eat, there are plenty of other foods and substances that you should make sure are out of reach of your pets.

Chocolate is likely the most well known people food that is toxic to dogs; however, there are plenty of other food items that can cause your dog distress. For instance, garlic and onions are poisonous to dogs (American Kennel Club). They belong to the allium family. Other plants from the allium family include leeks and chives. Garlic is the most poisonous of the plant family, as it is five times as toxic as any other plant in the plant family. Dogs who eat garlic can suffer from anemia, which can cause a heightened heart rate and collapsing. The symptoms of garlic poisoning will not always show up immediately, so it is important to look after your dog for a couple days if it has consumed some garlic. Milk and milk products are not as deadly, but they can cause discomfort to your dog. Many dogs are lactose intolerant, so they cannot digest milk well. If your dog is not lactose intolerant, plain yoghurt would be the best snack due to the probiotics found in yoghurt. Grapes are a very toxic treat for dogs (American Kennel Club). No matter what kind of dog or the size of dog is, grapes can cause sudden kidney failure if consumed.

Xylitol is a little known artificial sweetener that can prove extremely deadly to dogs—even deadlier than chocolate (Preventive Vet). According to a pet safety survey, the majority of respondents did not know that xylitol was deadly to dogs. Xylitol is a natural sweetener that is gaining more popularity with anti-cavity benefits for humans, but for dogs, it can make them hypoglycemic and can send them into a coma. It does not take much xylitol to kill a dog. For a ten pound yorkie, consuming three pieces of any xylitol gum will kill them (even though it would take an entire chocolate bar to do the same thing), and even one stick will cause serious problems. If you think that your dog has consumed xylitol gum or any other xylitol product, contact your veterinarian immediately. Your dog could start exhibiting symptoms in as little as 30 minutes.

Toxic food is not the only thing that dogs should stay away from. Certain household plants can also cause harm to your dogs if consumed. For instance, aloe contains a toxin called saponins can cause depression, chills, and intestinal trouble for your dog (Balcony Garden Web). Eucalyptus is also another toxic house plant for dogs. In fact, even the smell of eucalyptus oil given off by the plant can put your dog in a bad mood. Medication can also prove to be deadly to dogs. One of the most toxic medications that your dog can consume are anti-inflammatories such as Advil or Aleve (Pet Poison Helpline). Even one or two pills can cause stomach ulcers or even kidney failure. Antidepressants can also cause a lot of damage. While some pets do take antidepressants sometimes, overdoses can lead to seizures and high blood pressure. Be careful specifically with the antidepressant Effexor. For whatever reason, pets seems to really like the taste of it and will eat the whole pill. However, that can prove very deadly.

Dogs are our best friends, companions, and family, and we try to take the best care of them as we can. Part of that is making sure that dogs do not get into foods they shouldn’t; however, sometimes we do not even know the extent of what dogs can and cannot eat. Foods such as garlic and grapes seem harmless to us, but they can cause dogs immense pain or even death. One should also do a bit of research before getting a new houseplant. Some plants even give off an odor that can put dogs in a bad mood. If your dog has eaten something that it shouldn’t, first remove your dog from the area and try to collect a sample of what he or she ate (Pet Poison Helpline). Check to see if your pet is safe and breathing. Do not try to use any home remedies or try to induce vomiting unless you were told to do so. Then, get help. Call your local veterinarian or pet emergency number. You can also call the Pet Poison Hotline at 855-764-7661 (Note: This service only works for the United States, Canada and the Caribbean and will incur a $59 charge, but it is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week). To prevent your dog from getting sick, be sure to keep toxic substances our of reach. For instance, if you keep Advil in your purse or bag, keep the bag out of reach from your dog. Your dog may try to sniff around and find it. Also, be sure to bone up on the different foods your pet can and cannot eat. A little knowledge goes a long way. Below will be some links to lists of foods, medications, and plants your dog can’t eat that were not covered in this article. Some of the foods and plants may surprise you.

List of Foods: General foods here, fruits and vegetables here

List of Plants: Here

Medications: Here

Rose Smith is the blog editor of Twenty-two Twenty-eight. When she isn’t writing about the world around her, she is often found listening to music, watching movies, and going on walks with her dogs.

You can find her on Instagram here and on Twitter here.